Tuesday, April 04, 2006

MAY-THURNER SYNDROME

WHAT IS THAT ?, YOU ASK...

It is the "spur" of the left common iliac vein at the crossover with the right common iliac artery or compression by tortuous left common iliac artery. Basically a main artery that runs thru your body is crossed over a main left vein, compressing it or even causing it to collapse. That is why there will be persistent edema(swelling/maybe water retention) in the left leg. It can also be the culprit of chronic dvts.

How do I know so much ? I am now dealing with the syndrome at this present time. My artery happens to be huge and really compressing on the left vein(in some spots, it doesn't even look like I have a left vein)! Thank goodness for the wonderful Vascular team at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota(the ones who finally diagnosed me)! You guys are SO awesome. Now I atleast have some answers, have a health plan of action, and don't feel so out of control!

Feel free to contact me if you or someone you know has this syndrome. I will be more than happy to try and get answers for you or direct you to someone who can help.

Until next time...

1 comment:

amanda said...

Hi-
my name is amanda, and I have recently been diagnosed with may-thurner syndrome. I haven't been able to find any indepth information about it. If you have any information that you could pass on, I would really appreciate it. thank you,
amanda